Monday, November 15, 2010

I love freebies!

Let's face it – we all want to be able to buy all the yarn and patterns that's on offer out there. It's just not possible though is it? OK, so I am in the enviable situation of owning my own yarn shop, so I am surrounded by loads of gorgeous yarns and designs every day! Even so, I had to spend money on it, and I am well aware of how hard it is these days to feed your obsession at the same time as juggling mortgages and bills.

So, what's a girl to do? The answer is – drum roll – search the net for free stuff! Now I don't mean the free things that come at a price (signing up for some bogus offer that just fills your inbox with spam). I'm talking about free knitting and crochet resources that make the crafter's life just that little bit easier.

I admire independent designers for not only their talent (and I wish I'd inherited some design talent from somewhere), but also their drive and passion to produce their designs at their own expense, often with little or no financial reward. This is one reason why I rank knitwear designers as artists, in the same way that painters and sculptors, to name but two, are recognised.

In a future blog I will be presenting interviews with some of my favourite independents, to say thank you to them for their inspiration and talent. But for now, let me show you a few of the patterns that I am working on to show off these wonderful people, but also to show you how you can use the beautiful fibres from YarnSoft to compliment these designs.

Tikki aka Georgie's Blog is a showcase for her amazing childrens' designs. Her motto is "Simple, Seamless Knitting Patterns" and her colourful designs are well known for being easy to make and look awesome on kidlets. I've completed one of her designs, Eden, for my Grandson, Liam. I used Twilleys Freedom Sincere, which is a 100% organic cotton that is machine washable. I must mention though, this was not a free pattern, but I did want to show off some of Georgie's designs (and put up a pic of one of the golden grandchildren!) And please don't ask me why he is on his side...I tried and tried to get Blogger to insert the pic right way up but it wouldn't play nice :-(

 
I'm about to start another Tikki design, this time it's a free pattern, Sid's Beanie. I'm going to use Naturally Loyal, Lt Blue and Blue Print, which is an 8ply 100% wool. I'll post a pic when it's finished. I'll try to get Liam to be my model but he usually whips hats off as soon as they are put on him so I might get his mum Lou to be the camera person!

Other freebies on my list are –
Paula's scarfette. Another Tikki design.  I'm going to use Filatura di Crosa Lovely Jeans, 100% worsted weight cotton

PersnicketyKnitterZigZag Lace Scarf. Tahki Rio, a chunky alpaca, merino, silk blend.

Hey JulieBaby Cabled Hat. Filatura di Crosa Zara Plus, worsted/12ply 100 % extrafine merino wool.

Well, if I'm going to get these things knitted, I'd better get to it!

Until next time, happy creating!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home