Thursday, October 14, 2010

So many yarns, so little time!

I have way too many knitting patterns and magazines! Actually, I don't think there is such a thing as too many, any more than the strange concept that you can have too much yarn.

Anyway, I was leafing through some mags, looking for a summer tank top pattern. All this browsing made me realise that there are so many different types of yarns, from the big names, to hand-dyed, hand-spun yarns produced by independent boutique designers. Add to this the gazillions of patterns available and it's a wonder any of us can actually find time to knit after gazing at all that is available.

I did worry when I first started to develop my business plan for YarnSoft, that I wouldn't ever be able to provide even a small representation of the variety that is available today. Then I got to thinking, “from little things big things grow”. I love the yarns that I stock, and I hope you will too. I do intend to offer more products from the smaller independents, as I am passionate about promoting local artisans who are inspired to produce yarns that will be cherished by knitters and crocheters.

But, I have decided to start out by offering a broad range of well known brands and listen to you and consider your feedback for future stock purchases.

I'm about to order some Filatura di Crosa Centolavaggi, which is a laceweight, 100% Merino superwash wool. This wool is ideal for lacework shawls, scarves and garments. I will admit that I am not game to tackle lace knitting just yet! I used to do some lacework years ago for general stuff, like baby clothes, back when lacy matinee jackets were still popular, but age and less patience and time have meant that I just don't get it anymore. I find myself making mistakes and losing my place more often than I used to, so I tend to stick to smaller projects these days. Having said that, I have seen so many beautiful lace patterns that I will admit to being tempted to have a bash at a scarf or small shawl. I think I might start with some 4ply, Like FDC Dolce Amore, or Heirloom baby wool. If you have seen any beginner patterns, do let me know.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 19, 2010 at 5:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, I have just purchased some lovely 8 ply Heirloom cotton to crochet with. Living in Cairns I was looking for something that was cool to work with and felt soft and nice and I am very pleased with it. With not a lot of choice up here, I was looking for a soft green to include in my selection, I have seen it in the 4 ply cotton but not 8 ply, I think it was called willow? I was hoping i would find it in your shop, but it doesn't look like you have it. I will keep checking back, maybe you will end up with some more colours. Annette :0)

 
At October 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Annette

Isn't it always the way? The one colour you need I don't have! I'll have a chat to my supplier to see what I can do. How many balls were you looking for? And if there are any other colours I can have a look for them too.

I checked out your blog today. I love the bedspread with all the different sized squares. I love crocheting rugs but absolutely hate weaving in all the endy bits! Even if I crochet them in as I go they still manage to wiggle out.

Anyway, I will find out about the Cotton (colour number 689 on the Heirloom website I would say) and get back to you via email.

Happy hooking!
Sarah
Yarnsoft

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home