Friday, November 12, 2010

What is in your knitting toolbox?


As you gain more experience with your knitting, you'll find that just needles and yarn aren't enough.  Everyone has their favourite tools and accessories and I am no exception.  Here is a bit of a look inside my knitting toolbox (Actually it's more of a knitting tub, with sub-branches in my desk drawer, current project bag, under the couch, tangled in bedsheets etc!

So, just what is in the box?


Knitting needles – goes without saying!  I do love to try different types of needles and I must say my favourites are circular needles.  I haven’t used straight needles for years and my collection is stashed away in a storage shed.  Having said that, if you are happy with your needle choice then stick with it, until you get the urge to play with something different.  I will add at this point though, that I really don’t like plastic needles.  Don’t know why, I just don’t!

Non twisty circular needles
In my collection I have some old circulars that I bought back in the 80’s I think.  They are the English Milward brand and have stood up to numerous outings over the years.  Like most early versions, these needles have very twisty cords and need to be soaked in warm water every now and then to relax the cord.  Most modern needles have soft cords with less “memory’ so they don’t get twisted up when you use them.  I have a set each of KnitPro and Addi interchangeable as well.  They have proved super handy to have around, as I can change the needle tip and cord length to suit almost every project I want to do. 
Twisty Circular Needles need pre-soaking to soften the cable

If I had to guess the number one reason that some people back away when offered a pair of circular, the twisty cord syndrome would probably be the answer.  The other reason could be that you hold circulars in a slightly different way to straights, causing the weight of the knitted item to be distributed differently.  Personally I find circulars more comfortable to use and don’t get that annoying poke in the chest that can happen with straights.  I can also knit on public transport without attacking my neighbour.  It is also easier to store your project in a smaller bag, as the needles pretty much fold up.

Crochet Hooks – Again, I have a selection of hooks, including some very old lace hooks (I went through a doiley phase some years back and I have kept them for the next dabble), bamboo and hooks with comfort grip handles, which for some reason I find more annoying than comforting, but there you go.

Even if you are a non-crocheter, I would suggest that you keep a couple of hooks in your toolbox.  They are the best thing for picking up dropped stitches that you only notice a couple of rows down.  If I’m faced with the choice of pulling back my knitting to rescue the stitch, or taking a minute or so to bring the errant stitch back home row by row using a small gauge crochet hook, I know which option I’d choose!

Stitch markers – I have a fairly short attention span these days (it must be some strange medical condition, because I am NOT getting old, OK?!)  I’ve recently decided to get back into some lace knitting, nothing complicated, just a simple 12 row pattern for a soft wrap.  It can take me a couple of repeats to get the flow of the pattern and be able to see what goes where, so until then, I slide on stitch markers at various points to help me remember. 

Fibretrends Easy Lace Wrap knit using Heirloom Pixie 4ply
I also love knitting top down garments and use them to divide the different parts of the garment.  And of course, as I prefer circular knitting these days to straights (I think I’m allergic to seaming) I use a marker to tell me where the row starts.  There are plenty of different type of stitch markers available, from simple plastic washers to elaborate hand beaded ones.  If desperate, don’t dismiss the humble safety pin, which is just slid over the needle when needed.

Needle Gauge – These are especially good to use with circular needles.  Some brands don’t have the size printed on the needle tips so it’s essential to check the size.  Some gauges also have a small ruler printed on them so they can be used if you don’t have a tape measure.

Tape measure – Another essential.  Even if a pattern says to knit a number of pattern repeats instead of giving a length, yarns can differ in gauge and drape.  If you don’t measure as you go, you might end up wearing a cropped top instead of the tunic you thought you were making!

Well, that’s just the essentials covered.  I also have sewing needles, long pins, scissors, spare yarn, stitch holders and a bunch of other stuff.  But the items I’ve listed are ones that I just can’t live without.

I wonder what is on your “don’t leave home without it” list of tools?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home