Saturday, January 21, 2012

Times are tough!

It's been just over a year since the virtual doors of YarnSoft opened...and what a year and a bit it has been!
 My decision to open my own business came  from a long period of unresolved stress, mostly experienced in my job at the time.  Being self-employed has its own set of stresses, not the least being the the worry of not having enough money to pay the bills.



I am now in the position where the mistakes of the past have returned to bite.  When I started buying stock, I wanted to have a broad range of yarns, rather than just a few.    I knew who my ideal customer was, but I wasn't sure just what they wanted to buy straight away.  I knew that most people like natural fibres but can't afford to spend top dollar on a single ball, so I tried to keep the variety broad and the prices reasonable.

My biggest problem has been buying in too much stock too early.  This has left me with some large bills that I just can't clear quickly enough for my creditors.  Until the bills are paid, I can't order in new stock.  I find myself constantly juggling my accounts, and have gone back to work outside the business to try and stay afloat.  Money is still an issue, but more frustrating is the lack of time I now have to enjoy my business...very annoying!

Enough of the sob story!  I can see that the only way to get through the next few months and keep the business viable for the next Australian knitting season I need to shed as much stock as I can.  And the only way I can do this is reduce reduce reduce!  I've marked everything on the site at 50% off and this will remain until I have managed to get on top of the accounts.  The sale will start on Monday 23 January 2012.

Do feel free to contact me to check stock levels.  I add the quantity to the title of each item, but if I don't get time to update this manually, an order might go through for a quantity that I don't have.  If this does happen to anyone, I'll do my best to get the complete order to you, or offer a complete refund.

So, if you can stick with me through this tough time, I'm sure YarnSoft will continue to give you as much lovely soft affordable yarn as you can fit in your house!

Surf on over to YarnSoft to see what bargains can be had!  If you have any questions, you can contact me here.

2 Comments:

At February 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM , Blogger My Five Sons said...

I know where you re coming from,Im seriuosly thinking of trying to destash some precious yarns on Ravelry as its the same here,our small business is barely covering bills and Im forced to stay on at a job where Im harrassed daily to the point Im not eating,the boss gave the assistant job to an person who ticked the right boxs about stuff he doesnt know so Im doing a lot of his job too
Id like to get some wool from if I can leter for a pattern I saw on a online pattern shop,cant remeber what,anyway I was going to use some mill spun wool from my aunty but it calls for 12 ply,anyhow if I can get the $ together Ill be back,do hope things pick up,too many of us are struggling!

 
At February 25, 2012 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

You hang in there too Guru! I'm lucky in that I enjoy my day job and it's allowing me to live and keep the business finances separate...it was only a couple of months ago that I was living on air and not making a dent in even the day to day business costs! Whilst I do worry about how the business will go when the sale is finished, I want to give it my best shot, as I've "met" some lovely customers and really do love promoting their love of yarn crafts!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home